Connecting your Wyze Cam to your home WiFi network is an easy process that allows you to view live footage from your camera anywhere. With just a few steps, you can set up your Wyze Cam and start monitoring your home or office from your smartphone or computer.
Key Steps to Connect Wyze Cam to WiFi:
- Download the Wyze app
- Create an account
- Plug in and power on the Wyze Cam
- Connect the camera to WiFi using the app
- Position the camera and adjust settings
- View live footage in the app
Table of Contents
Download the Wyze App
Key Features of the Wyze App Include:
- Simple camera setup process
- Live view from all connected cameras
- Motion tagging with 12-second video clips
- Two-way audio communication
- Alexa and Google Assistant integration
Once you’ve downloaded the app, it’s time to set up your account.
Create a Wyze Account
Open the Wyze app and tap “Create Account.” Follow the prompts to create your username and password.
Your Wyze account allows you to:
- Add and manage multiple Wyze devices
- Store video clips captured by motion events
- Enable special features like person detection
- Access your cameras remotely
After creating your account, you’re ready to connect your Wyze Cam to WiFi.
Plug In and Power On the Camera
The Wyze Cam needs to be powered on to connect to your WiFi network.
Here are the steps:
- Plug the included power adapter into an outlet.
- Connect the USB end of the adapter into the port on the back of the camera.
- The blue LED light on the front of the camera will turn on once powered up.
- Give the camera about 30 seconds to boot up before moving to the WiFi setup steps.
Connect Wyze Cam to WiFi with the App
With the camera powered on, it’s time to connect it to your home WiFi network. This is done right from the Wyze app.
Follow these steps to connect Wyze Cam to WiFi:
- Open the Wyze app and tap the “+” icon to add a device.
- Select the Wyze Cam from the list of devices.
- When prompted, scan the QR code on the bottom of the camera using your phone’s camera. This pairs the device to your app.
- Select your 2.4GHz WiFi network and enter the password. The camera cannot connect to 5GHz networks.
- Wait 1-2 minutes for the connection process to complete. The camera status light will flash yellow.
- Once connected, the light will turn solid blue. Tap “I’m done” in the app.
Your Wyze Cam is now connected to your WiFi network and communicating with the app.
Position the Camera and Adjust Settings
With your camera connected, you can now position it in the desired monitoring location and adjust settings like motion detection:
- Place the camera on a flat surface, or use the included stand for more flexibility.
- Open the app and tap Live View to test the camera angle.
- Go to Settings > Motion Detection to configure motion zones and notifications.
- Enable Two-Way Audio if you want to talk through the camera.
- Adjust night vision and video quality settings as needed.
Take some time to ensure the camera is positioned optimally and has the right settings enabled to capture relevant footage.
View Live Camera Footage in the App
With your Wyze Cam connected and in position, you can now open the app at any time to view a live stream from the camera.
Key things you can do in live view:
- Pan and zoom to see full room coverage.
- Listen to audio through the camera microphone.
- Speak through the camera using two-way audio.
- Toggle night vision when room is dark.
- Record video clips and screenshots.
The live view allows you to monitor your home or office from anywhere in real time. You’ll also receive alert notifications if motion is detected based on your settings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions when setting up Wyze Cam with WiFi:
Why does my Wyze Cam need to connect to a 2.4GHz WiFi network?
Wyze Cams can only connect to 2.4GHz networks and do not support 5GHz. This is due to the hardware limitations of the cameras. The 2.4GHz band offers better range and penetration through walls, which is advantageous for placement flexibility.
What kind of internet speed do I need for Wyze Cam?
Wyze recommends an upload speed of at least 1Mbps for streaming live view of one camera. You can have multiple cameras with 3-5Mbps upload speeds. Faster internet means better video quality.
My Wyze Cam won’t connect to WiFi?
If your camera won’t connect, try power cycling it and moving it closer to your wireless router for the setup process. Make sure you’re entering the correct WiFi password. A firmware update may be required if connection issues persist.
Can the Wyze Cam be used outdoors?
The Wyze Cam is designed for indoor use only. For outdoor security cameras, consider the Wyze Cam Outdoor or Wyze Cam Outdoor v2 models which are weatherproof.
How do I mount my Wyze Cam on the wall?
The Wyze Cam comes with a standard tripod screw mount on the bottom. You can use this with any tripod or wall mount that has a matching 1/4″ 20 thread. They sell an official Wyze Wall Mount Plate as an accessory.
Hopefully this guide covered the key steps on how to connect your new Wyze Cam to WiFi. With your camera online, you can now monitor your home from anywhere for added security and peace of mind.
Mr. Daily Tech is your go-to source for easy-to-follow tech guides and tips on making money online. Whether you’re looking to connect devices, explore online side hustles, or delve into the world of freelancing, this platform has you covered with clear, concise, and valuable information to help you succeed in the digital age.